The modern homeowner is always on the lookout for ways to maximize space without compromising on style and comfort. Enter the Ottoman bed – a practical yet elegant solution that checks all these boxes. This article delves into the world of Ottoman beds, highlighting their features, benefits, and factors to consider when buying one. https://www.furniture-shop4u.co.uk/ottoman-beds
What is an Ottoman Bed?
An Ottoman bed is a type of storage bed where the base opens up to reveal a large storage area beneath the mattress. It gets its name from the classic Ottoman footstool which has concealed storage beneath its padded surface. Unlike traditional drawer beds, Ottoman beds utilize the entire bed base for storage, offering a much larger space.
- Lift-Up Mechanism: The bed’s hydraulic pistons make lifting the mattress easy and safe, providing access to the storage underneath.
- Deep Storage: Ideal for storing bulky items such as bed linens, suitcases, and off-season clothing.
- Solid Base: The base is typically solid, ensuring that stored items remain clean and dust-free.
Benefits of Ottoman Beds:
- Space Saving: Particularly beneficial for smaller rooms or apartments where space is a premium.
- Declutter: Offers a solution to keep your room tidy by storing away infrequently used items.
- Versatility: Comes in various designs, from leather finishes to upholstered fabric, fitting a range of room aesthetics.
- Durable: The sturdy design and mechanism mean that, with proper care, these beds can last a long time.
Factors to Consider When Buying:
- Opening Mechanism: Ottoman beds can either open from the foot end or the side. Choose based on your room’s layout and accessibility.
- Bed Size: As with any bed, consider the size you need – single, double, king, or super king.
- Room Size: Ensure there’s enough space to fully open the bed without obstructions.
- Mattress Weight: Heavier mattresses might make lifting the base more challenging. However, most modern Ottoman beds come with strong pistons suitable for most mattresses.
- Safety: Check for beds with safety features, such as anti-crush mechanisms or locks, especially if children will be using the bed.
- Material and Finish: From faux leather to plush velvet, choose a finish that complements your room’s decor.
Caring for Your Ottoman Bed:
- Regular Checks: Periodically inspect the lifting mechanism to ensure it’s working smoothly and safely.
- Avoid Overloading: Do not exceed the recommended weight limit for stored items.
- Clean the Base: Even though it’s hidden, periodically cleaning the base will keep your stored items fresher.